Tuesday 9 August 2011

Endings

All things have to end. That sentence just ended. And that one. And that one too. You get the picture.

If things only began and didn’t end, life would be a mess and humanity would cease to function. We would never leave school, music would go out of control (I for one cannot cope with listening to “Friday” for the rest of eternity), and general peril would quickly ensue. With this notion in mind, endings can be seen to be very positive indeed, but that is far from how I feel at the moment. In under 24 hours I will leave my family and friends and move country, plunging myself into the unknown. This move has always been inevitable, but now that it is here, the sudden heavy weight of reality has come crashing down. My life is here. My friends and family are here. I have grown up here. And I wont be here for much longer. The sheer enormity of leaving life as I know it behind combined with trying to shove everything I own into a suitcase mars any hope for a happy ending. 

The common phrase “all good things come to an end” seems appropriate to use here, but I don’t like it. Not only is that because all bad things come to an end too (I doubt you could count the hours I spent in history lessons as 'good times'), but often, it is not until the end when you appreciate the good. As with many great novels and films, it is the ending which ties together the strings of the plot, forming them into a perfectly complete knot and allowing us to marvel over the finished product. I suppose then that this can be applied to my situation. Life is great. The time I have spent here, the people I have met, the friends I have made, and the memories I have shared will last long into the future, regardless of my location. 

It is this then which I shall focus on and share with you. It is only the end when you believe it to be. Carry your past with you and you will never leave. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;